Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Busy summer. On the weekend of the 23-24th, Susi & I finally got around to celebrating our birthdays at her place in Sutton. We had a great time with our kids and various friends. It was especially nice to see Jen!
Susi, Jen and I shared a house in Mussleman's Lake for about 3 months in 1982. I don't remember a lot about it except that it was a particularly cold winter and there was a vent about one foot square that went straight from the head of my bed to the roof. I often woke up in the middle of the night because snow was falling on my head. The day after I moved out, I saw plenty of aerial shots of our house on the news. The guys next door were being busted for whatever they were involved with over there - drugs, guns -we're not sure. We thought they were small-time dealers in homegrown weed but clearly that wasn't all. Whatever they were up to was enough to bring out the the ETF with a full compliment of personnel, guns, a helicopter and trucks. I wish there was some footage available because it was pretty dramatic - especially since it was a dead-end road out in the country and they weren't quite ready to surrender themselves to the authorities. I was grateful that I was already gone when it happened. I have to say, aside from what we found out about them on the evening news, those guys were pretty nice and really helpful whenever one of our cars wouldn't start (daily) or when the water pump froze (weekly). Good times!
Anyway, this past weekend was Dominion Day so there was lots going on. I went to Dominion Day regatta (photos soon) and raced C4 and war canoe. I didn't arrive until noon so just missed getting entered at the last minute into a canoer K4. Not sure how that would have worked out with 4 canoers but they did a respectable time with Eve, Chrissy and Rachel and the lone kayaker, KC.

No comments: