Friday, January 23, 2009

Okay, so after my post about the presidential inauguration, there was a startling increase of traffic on my blog. I drilled down in my site metre and noted that most of them came from a site called the Texas Predator Posse...Uh oh, that can't be good. Their logo is a deputy's badge with the view through a scope in the centre.

I followed the link back and was kind of alarmed to see my blog url embedded in a forum thread about how bad it's going to be now that Obama's president. The members are from Texas, Bush supporters, conservatives, members of the NRA and definitely not happy about the situation in Washington.

At first I took it to be a bunch of aging veterans pining for the old days when I realized that the majority are about the same age as me. I noted with interest that one link originated in Washington on the US Department of Justice server. These guys are on someone's watch list. Either way, the whole thing was a little disconcerting. A couple tried to leave comments on my blog but either couldn't figure it out or, more likely, were afraid of identifying themselves. Kind of a moot point since I have their site but they didn't know that until now.

Anyway, once I realized I wasn't going to become a target (literally, given the photos of and references to dead animals and guns - one signature reads, "There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes" haha ) - anyway, I forgot about them.
Until last night....dun dun dunnnn... just kidding

You see, I volunteered to cook chili for the ski trip this weekend. I googled "chili recipes" at work which of course pulled up 4 billion - all claiming to be the best and the original. I couldn't decide on one so went home to check out a couple of cookbooks. I was leafing through the current LCBO magazine and found this "Deep-in-the-Heart-of-Texas Chili" recipe. It looked pretty tasty and, since Texas has been on mind this week, I decided to make it as a tribute to the good ol' boys of the Texas Predator Posse. We'll never see eye to eye on George Dubya but I think we can agree there are a lot of other great things that come out of Texas.

No comments: