Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Okay, I get it - I'm not just tired, I'm full out sick. I've caught some badass virus/sinus infection. It might have been from CCA - kissing and hugging everyone and their kids at nationals but most likely I picked it up in my doctor's office during my appointment last week. When I got home from Welland, I immediately fell asleep for 3 hours. Should have been a sign. On Monday morning I was feeling, I don't know, just off - not myself. It was like having a migraine without the skull crushing headache. I took the day off work. Late in the afternoon I ran into Carrie with Noah at the grocery store and she had a migraine. We decided we were suffering from weather-induced sickness brought on by the proximity of hurricane Irene. I kept forcing myself to get out on the water and do workouts - trying to flush out whatever it is but this morning I woke up with a really sore throat. Dammit!

Nationals were awesome, by the way. I picked KC up around 7am. She's just home from Worlds in Szeged. Results for Canada were mmm well, Adam did great as did the women canoers but the rest of the team? Meh. However. KC and Mylanie got thrown into a K2 for the 200m and they won the B final! Not bad considering they had never paddled together before. The did the heat with one setup and then switched around for the final...
Anyway, it was great to see everyone and hang out at Welland. Not racing is not bad! I thought it would bother me more but not at all.We arrived just in time to see the Jr Mens war cross the finish line. Blake had entered a crew of dbers - with Ian stroking and Conor steering. Blake was in the boat too.They were way behind - 30+seconds - Conor was just reefing on the steering blade trying to keep the boat in their lane but since 4 crews (including Missy) were DQed, NDC was 5th!

I picked up a new Scorpion outrigger paddle at Budays last night. Joked with Olga and Daddio that I only go there to give their kids money (I often drop by there with cash for Stephanie when I've purchased some of her jewellery).  They asked me to stay for dinner but I wasn't feeling great. This was about the time I realized I was actually sick and not just out of sorts. I'd also just finished an 8km paddle. I declined and took my new, carbon fibre-balsa wood paddle with me. 53" - Pete thinks it's way too long but the one I'm using now is just shy of 52" and it feels too short. I'll most likely end up asking him to cut it down another half inch to end up around 52.5. I'm looking forward to using it.

No comments: