Sunday, April 29, 2007

Yesterday was the inaugural game of the Toronto FC. It was raining when I woke up but the weather had improved slightly by the time we got to the game. Actually, except for no sun, it was pretty perfect. Cool but not freezing, a little overcast but not raining. I wore a hoody and fleece vest and, of course, the Toronto FC scarf that I'd received in my fan package. Best marketing ever - the scarf has the team logo, Toronto FC in huge letters that run the length and the date of the game - and it was your ticket! You couldn't get into the game without it.


The stadium was filled to capacity. The program states that BMO field holds 20,000 but the announced attendance at the game was +21k (not sure how that works!).


I had gotten my season's tickets online and since BMO field is brand new it wasn't like I could make better-worse comparison. The "Fan" section was sold out in my price range so I opted for the next best thing - seats right in front of the goal. The opposing goaltender would be right in front of us for the last half of the game.

I have to tell you though, the Fan section is where you want to be! Don't get me wrong. The energy throughout the stadium was awesome! Stamping, clapping and singing like you never get at Jays and Raptors games but the superfans, they just had that little bit extra...crazy (or was it beer?). They had the canisters that spewed red & white smoke at the start of the game and red & white confetti at that end, they had the organization-funded cheerleaders - not the jiggly-jumping kind but the loud-guy-with-a-megaphone kind. They also got the taunting from Kansas City players when they scored the only goal in the last 10 minutes of play.


No complaints here though. Toronto FC played a great game and it was everything fans could have asked for short of a win.

No comments: