Friday, October 17, 2008

I had always planned to have a career in film and when I was in college, it was drilled into us that we should sit through the credits of every movie... a tribute of sorts to the hundreds of people who put effort into the production. And also because (hopefully) our names would be in those lists some day. So, even now, unless I'm with friends who want to leave quickly, I sit through to the end of the credits of pretty much every movie I see, in theatres and at home.

It's actually pretty interesting. You notice things like Waiter #2 has the same last name as the lead or, in older movies, that some later-famous star had a bit part (Suzanne Somers & Harrison Ford in American Graffiti or Brad Pitt in THelma & Louise). Anyway, for me the most interesting information appears at the very end - the music credits.

Tonight I rented Leaving Sarah Marshall and let the credits roll. THere were a couple fo songs I didn't even notice during the movie, one of which was Sinead O'Connor's smash, 'Nothing Compares 2 U'. The credits reminded me of something I'd forgotten - this song was actually written by Prince. Sinead's video was one of the simplest productions of that decade, mostly because of Sinead's compelling features. I defy you to look away from her face. Especially if you've just gone through a bad breakup. Those two tears sliding down her face at the end?...salt in the wound.


No comments: