Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ever since I saw it mentioned on United States of Tara, I've wanted to get my hands on some Miracle Fruit. In the show they talk about how it messes with your tastebuds so everything tastes like something else - something sweet. So Tabasco sauce tastes like a hot crispy creme donut. Tara drinks a beer after swirling one of the berries around her mouth and exclaims, "It tastes like a chocolate shake!". The effects last anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours.

To scientists, this West African berry is known as synsepalum dulcificum. It contains the protein miraculin which binds to the sweet receptors on your tongue and makes them activate in response to sour/bitter tastes. Apparently it's really successful in making foods palatable to chemotherapy patients by counteracting the metallic taste they get while undergoing treatment.

There are lots of websites dedicated to the fruit and where to obtain it but from all reports, those offering mail-order are sketchy at best. The most reasonable option seems to be purchasing a plant. I'll let you know if I'm able to work it out - I'll have a tasting party!

No comments: