Friday, April 09, 2010

Strange coincidence...last night I caught a few minutes of Hedwig and the Angry Inch (just the clip below) and then today I watched an episode of Bones online while I was at work. Okay, that's not strange, the strange thing is the fact that within a 24 hour period, I was twice presented with the story/myth of the origin of love. (even more strange, Hedwig, a trani cult-classic from 2001, was on CHCH tv during prime time.)

The myth, as presented by Aristophanes in Plato's Symposium, is that humans originally consisted of four arms, four legs and a single head made of two faces. Zeus, fearing their power, split them in half, condemning them to spend their lives searching for the other half to complete them. (this myth also outlines why there is hetero & homosexual love - not all humans were composed of male-female halves. Some were male-male or female-female)

Here it is as presented by Hedwig and the Angry Inch;



I've been a jerk with regard to my recent (romantic) relationships, not bothering to maintain or nurture them. Is it weird that as I fail at relationships, I've gotten better at taking care of my plants? Anyway, I think divorce lawyers beat all the romance out of me and this is the face smack I need. Whatever coincidence brought it to my attention, it's obvious I need an attitude adjustment or I'll be on the road to becoming a lonely, bitter, old woman.

Now get off my lawn!

No comments: