Monday, December 12, 2011

I could never have predicted I'd ever be typing the following words;


Ke$ha has released a cover of Bob Dylan's, 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright'. 


See what I mean? Using Ke$ha and Dylan in the same sentence sounds crazy, right? Anyway, the thing is...I don't actually hate this cover. I mean, I hate the idea in principal but this version is not completely heinous.
Musically, she favours the Sylvester Stallone school of expression but it works. And if I'm going to be completely honest, I think it's closer to the true emotion behind the words than Dylan's freewheeling, hobo-inspired original. (at first I thought it was just the difference between male-female reaction to a break-up but on closer inspection, they actually seem to be offering opposing sides - the heartbroken vs the heartbreaker - using the same words. Hmmm, interesting). 
I've listened to it a couple of times now and it reminds me a lot of Sinead's, "Nothing Compares to You". I'm positive that's intentional, especially considering the use of a single cello for accompaniment. Ke$ha may have just created the heartbreak anthem for her generation.



No comments: