Monday, January 09, 2012

I saw a familiar face on the news wrap-up tonight - remember Fiona who used to paddle with the women's team in the early days? She did something that happens quite often - locked her baby and keys in the car - Link with video-goodness . For some reason City felt it was capital "N" News.  As always, I was impressed with her absolute cool in a tense situation. Reporters arrived while her 2-year old daughter was still locked in the vehicle. That's got to be annoying. Firefighters were quickly on the scene but Fiona had called her husband to bring the spare set of keys so they waited for him. It took about 30 minutes to get there - he arrived just as they were about to break a window. I knew Fiona was getting married a few years ago but I hadn't heard about her having a baby.
I did the exact same thing when Ryan was about 18 months old. I had just dropped off some dry cleaning and, while I was putting him back into his car seat, the driver's door swung shut, keys on the seat. I closed Ryan's door before I realized the lock was engaged. The best and the worst thing about older cars is how easy they are to break into. This was an old Vista Cruiser (that's right, Eric's car on That 70s Show) so, after a moment of dismay, I went back into the dry cleaners to borrow a coat hanger, stuck it down the door panel and popped the lock. 

No comments: