Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I don't know about you but my tastes change frequently
- music, art, food - I'm talking about the stuff that feeds your wants as opposed to your needs. And I'm rarely vague about what I feel like consuming. I'll eat sushi almost every day for an entire season and then suddenly crave curry for 2 weeks.
Still, I surprised even myself today when, after 2 years of listening to and collecting mostly current artists, I walked into a record store and dropped a couple hundred on old school blues. I CRAVED it.
Memphis Slim, Roosevelt Sykes, Nina Simone, Louis Jordan, Ella Fitzgerald. I couldn't wait to get home to listen to it - even on my crummy cd player. I was like one of those chocoholics with a tub of double chocolate brownie fudge haagen dazs or something. And it's not a mood thing. I don't listen to the blues when I'm sad anyway. I was just missing something. In fact the song that just came on sums it up - Lost my Boogie (Memphis Slim). So - Sunday poker players be prepared, we'll be listening to the blues. And don't complain if I'm smoking a cigar and drinking shots of bourbon. Gypsy's getting back her boogie.

No comments: