Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I wasn't very good at the whole Christmas thing this year. I didn't get greeting cards out in time (sorry everyone), I forgot one or two thank-you bottles for my coaches and each time I went gift shopping I bought something for myself. However, there were some high points - I put lights on my house and decorated a tree in the basement for the first time in a couple of years. I was able to hook up with almost all of my friends for a meal or drink, had the MCC girls over for a movie night, spent Christmas eve with my Dad and son and had Christmas dinner at my sister's. And everytime I went shopping, I got something for myself.I bought two
beautiful prints for my bedroom. I'd been eyeing them whenever I went into House Warmings in Oakville and decided I might as well just get them. Hanging them has inspired me to finally re-decorate my house. It's still got the same paint and endless wallpaper as when I moved in!
I'm not sure if it's because there are no small children in the family or because my parents are gradually being erased by their respective illnesses but the season doesn't feel like anything special. To be honest, it's a bit of an ordeal and I'm more excited about training camp in March than I am about this holiday. In fact, on Christmas morning, I slept in until 10:30, watched the movie Accepted (not too bad with the guy from the Mac vs PC commercials. Actually, I think he is the male version of Jennifer Aniston and they could make the most boring movie ever if they were cast together) and then rolled back to my dad's to take him and my mom up to dinner at Laurel's. I'm so glad my nieces and their other cousins are there to liven things up. We watched Cars on their big screen and then did a few Elf Yourself creations. I was ready to go home after that - this going to bed at 1:00am and sleeping until 10am is exhausting.
Tara gave me some amazing truffle-ish treats she had made (I can't remember what they're called but so delicious!) and Ryan & Courtney both gave me art they had done themselves - Courtney's was irises done in pastel and Ryan's a pencil sketch of Hawkeye at Sherbourne Lake when we first got him. Ryan did such a good job and it was the perfect gift. I wasn't prepared though and it made me cry. I had Hawkeye for 15 years and he died a couple of weeks ago. Probably not the reaction Ryan was going for but it was my favourite gift in spite of appearances.
Okay, like I said, I'm bad at joy this year - I feel like Dennis Leary - Merry Farking Christmas! I'm sure you can understand why I haven't posted anything besides vids - I am absolutely bored and boring...I'm at work for a couple of days this week and will hopefully have more interesting stories to tell after New Years Eve. And if not? There's a multitude of entertaining stuff on the internet that needs sharing!

No comments: