Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thank god for Charlie Sheen. Well actually, thank god for the writers of Two and A Half Men.

Seriously.

Throughout the mid-to-late '80s and early '90s I watched the rise of "the sensitive guy" with increasing disgust. I'm a big fan of the hero, the cowboy, the bad-boy. So that 10 year span was hell as we went from "real men don't eat quiche" to "are you a metrosexual?". If I have to listen to one more condo-dwelling, yogo-instructing, lululemon-wearing castrato lisp out his order for a half-fat latte with extra sprinkles, I'll bitch-slap somebody.

Thankfully the pendulum has swung back almost 180 degrees and there's a trend in pop culture to bring back men with a capital "M". Out with characters like Frasier and Sam Malone from Cheers. Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do? Woody Allen? Meh, gross. He slept with his daughter. Allan Alda? Judd Hirsch? If I want someone who cries more than me, I'll get a job at a daycare... Give me David Carradine in Kill Bill, Jack Nicholson in just about anything, Samuel L. Motherfuckin' Jackson on a motherfuckin' plane. Bring on the guy's guy; the one who pours himself a double rye when he gets home, cooks KD in a hot tub and eats it out of the pot, turns down a date (but not with me) to watch a play-off game with his buddies. Yes! They're back and I'm strapping on my pom-poms and a Frederick's of Hollywood bra to lead the cheer. God bless CBS for giving americans back their balls!!


btw, I went to a taping of The Hour last night and I think I'm a little in love with George Stroumboulopoulos. More on that tomorrow.

No comments: