Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Such a good weekend. I had some summer hours saved up so got out of work a few hours early. I got an emergency pedicure and headed down to the Boulevard Club where Marisha and I lounged on the lakeshore and wallowed in gossip mags.
Saturday afternoon was a baby shower for Jackie and babygirl Song-Hara. This was SUCH a great afternoon. I'd had a hectic morning ending up on the wrong side of the city which meant I arrived late, without the salad I'd promised to bring or Jackie's gift. Tat was so nice and met me at the door with assurances there was plenty of food and a glass of wine. There were children EVERYWHERE! All cute and fun and easygoing (read: not crying). Pictures soon.

Sunday - Toronto FC vs L.A. Galaxy.
There's been lots of speculation on whether David Beckham would play or not but it didn't matter. Plans to sell my extra ticket changed when I found out my son didn't have to work that day. And I'm so glad because we had an amazing afternoon together!

There was no traffic (people must have thought Caribana was still going on) so we got there super early. We just wandered around the stadium checking things out. Coming around the corner at the south-west end we saw a CBC trailer and tv cameras. We realized we were at the player's entrance and, given the amount of security, that the Galaxy hadn't arrived yet. We stuck around with about 20 other people and within 15 mintues their bus pulled up.
David Beckham was first out and was less than 5 feet from where we stood. Yeah, I was a total tourist! He is very, VERY good looking. Canadians are so funny - nobody yelled anything or cheered...nothing. I don't think he knew what to expect but he kind of hesitated then waved and walked on. I didn't have my purse so couldn't even ask for an autograph (alhtough I don't know what I'd do with one anyway, just seems the thing to do). After he'd gone through the door we all kind of looked at each other and shrugged.

Ryan and I were still high-fiving each other on another awesome mom-son moment when the ticket takers handed us our TFC baseball caps courtesy of of BMO. All that AND a hat? Could it get any better? Sort of. The Barenaked Ladies performed a song they wrote for the TFC (tepid) and both national anthems. The reason this was particularly cool is because, when Ryan was around 10, we went to one of the first BNL concerts at the Bathurst St. Theatre. We were actually there to see Meryn Cadell (where did SHE go?) and the second act just happened to be these guys who were introduced as buskers from Scarborough. We bought "The Yellow Tape" (from their moms who were selling them at the door) and became huge fans. Okay tangent over.
The TFC were definitely "on" for this game so the disappointment of not seeing Beckham's moves was minimal. As alway the fans in Toronto make the game as memorable as the plays. Final score was 0-0. Getting those seasons tickets was one of the best decisions I've made and they've paid for themselves a thousand times over in great memories for Ryan and me.

No comments: