Sunday, February 10, 2008

So not surprising, today I'm stupidly restless. Worse, restless but indecisive. I want to do something outside but the 70km/hr winds and minus 24 temps are making me think twice. I should just throw the snowshoes in the truck and go but the single inch of skin that was exposed while I pumped gas an hour ago still hasn't thawed. I think it might be frostbite.

I haven't mentioned yet that we went out for Marisha's birthday on Friday night. She hosted a dinner at The Bungalow Cafe, owned by talented Toronto restaurateur (and ex-boyfriend), Rob P.
A handful of friends were there to celebrate - Glenn (Marisha's bf), Sharon, Karen, Gavin, Laila, Blake & Jackie and Birdie. Sharon's sister Nicki and her bf Dino just happened to come in and joined our loud, good-natured group. (And let me tell you, except for me and Laila, everyone was over 5'8". It looked like a convention for TALL people ).
It was so great to see everyone and, as you would expect, wine and conversation flowed. Glenn and I discussed the unnecessary guilt of 2nd and 3rd generation german-canadians while I tried to convince Dino that he HAD to take piano lessons since his hands could easily span two octaves on a keyboard. I'd had a few glasses of wine and kept saying things like, "Dino, piano is EASY. It's mathematical! Glenn, you understand that, TELL HIM." (Glenn is an engineer but to my knowledge, doesn't play the piano or any other musical instrument).
Blake was running a "who will get married first" pool - Gavin or the Birdman. Odds were running 3-1 in Gavin's favour but, based on the high standards of both, I said chances are I'll get married again before either of them. This prompted Birdie to jump up and hit on the three 20-something women at the next table. Three sets of manga-eyes and perky breasts were immediately pointed in his direction and we just looked on in awe as he was invited to join them.
It was a perfect night and the food was unbelievable with our choice of appetizer; pear and parsnip soup or bacon wrapped scallop (Sharon and I ordered each and shared) and an entree of roast pork with scalloped potatoes (served brick-style, something I've never seen before but, with the pork draped on the side, made for great presentation). An assortment of chocolates and chocolate dipped strawberries were on offer for dessert but I think we were all too stuffed by that time. It was a perfect celebration and it looked like Marisha enjoyed herself.

No comments: