Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday of the long weekend.

Woke at 3 am and didn't get back to sleep until 5. geh. This is a new cycle that started a couple of weeks ago and I wish I could break it!

At some point, my clever sleeping-self changed the alarm from 7:15 to 9:15. I have no recollection of it but I guess it was for the best but I'd rather paddle - it's the only time I can break out of this perpetual state of grief and anxiety.

I called Marisha to see how she's doing. She's pulled something in her back which is in spasm. It causes her to walk like a gymnast or ballerina in toe shoes (e.g. carefully and very erect). We decided to go to the St. Lawrence Market and then drop in on Jackie and Blake. I had to drop off some TFC tickets for Blake anyway.

We got to the Hara's just as Jackie and then Blake were getting home - the former from brunch, the latter from shopping. Jackie looks fantastique btw.

Sydney was in her crib but awake so we got her up. She is SO cute! And sweet. And has these amazing rolls at her wrists and ankles.
Considering that 2 relative strangers gatecrashed her nap she was extremely good-natured. Oh my god she is CUTE!! Her hair is lightening up and getting curly and her eyes are turning a greenish-brown colour.
We didn't stay long. Marisha had to get back because her chiro (Dr. Gav) was going to give her an adjustment and I had to get up to North York to see my dad.

I got there in time to feed him his lunch. His caregiver, Ruth, went for lunch and we watched a couple of Seinfeld epsiodes together. Thankfully he fell asleep before the Simpsons came on. It was the episode where Grandpa Simpson decides he can't take it anymore and goes for assisted suicide. He gets hooked up to the Die-pod but Dr. Death is arrested before it can completely take effect. It actually made me feel better in some twisted way because the dialogue acknowledged this is a common state for families.

I got home about dinner time and went for a paddle. The wind was UNBELIEVABLE. I would guess 40-50km headwind straight down the river. It took me 25 minutes of steady paddling to get from the buoy out beyond Snug Harbour up to the block building and smashed up marathon canoe north of the QEW. Of course it took me less than 8 minutes to get back again! I paddled for over an hour and definitely felt better afterward. As I was leaving, an older couple who were heading out in a K-2 got dinged by the police for no lifejackets. I don't think they can enforce that on the river but the guy didn't want to argue with them.

No comments: