Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's only 10:30 am but I've already been to the home regatta and the Clarkson Village 200th anniversary street festival.

At the canoe club everyone was lining up to get their MCC 50th anniversary racing singlets. The new design is awesome and they actually ordered a women's style (built-in bra top & cut for hips)! The fabric is really nice and it has a racerback style. Generally we don't think about the fabric at all but the last ones we had were
a scratchy synthetic. This one is much softer. They probably don't dry as fast as the old ones but they are way more comfortable. I stuck around to see some friends, watch a few races and then headed into Clarkson.


I was there super early so even though the street was closed and stands were up not many people were around. You know, I've always thought our community was fairly young so I was surprised that 75% of the people wandering around were 60+.
Maybe it's just that old people know going early means they won't have to line up for free stuff (like Cora's breakfast) because by the time I left there was a steady stream of young families with strollers heading into town.

I'm a little disappointed with the festival. The ones in Port Credit are always good, kind of hip and cool. I was hoping this would be along those lines.
Not the case. There were just too many older women in pioneer costumes and heritage information booths lining the street. There's nothing wrong with that kind of stuff, especially since Clarkson is pretty much defined by two major heritage buildings/museums, but this was definitely the theme. It kind of set the fun switch to "amish", if you know what I mean. I actually saw a blacksmith setting up just as I was heading home. Still it's a good first step - from what I understand it's not easy to get a permit to shut down Lakeshore. If this becomes an annual thing, I'll have to volunteer for a committee.

No comments: