Thursday, June 17, 2010

The wind tonight is insane. I went to the club intending to paddle but Chris & Doug, who had just come off the lake, said don't bother. It's all over the map and I'm guessing gusts are around 60k/hr. I just checked the Port Credit weather station (link at right) and it says 27knots which is about 50k/hr.
I hung out at the club talking to a few people and I ended up feeling just as good as if I'd done a workout. Sometimes the club is not just about the paddling, you know? Seb heard me say I'd been looking at a VW and he offered to let me take his new Rabbit for a drive and check out the standard transmission. I wasn't going to but he's pretty pumped about having such a cool car so I took it around the block and you know what? It was really fun driving standard. I have to keep reminding myself though that there is nothing fun about clutching, gearing up and down, 1st to 2nd, on the QEW every morning.

Anyway, I coached db at Sunnyside from 7-8. (Also a great place to catch up with friends - until the team gets there, that is). There were only 12 from my P&G crew so we just did steady paddling and talked about the race this weekend. They actually have 2 crews but the captain this year is some crazy. Between the two, there were 22 paddlers but she wanted them to go out in 2 separate boats. Neither Conor or I can be bothered dealing with her anymore - she asks what we think and when we tell her, she presses her lips together, rolls her eyes and says in her eastern-bloc accent, "NUH".  It's all good though. After this weekend, it'll all be over!

There were police-with-lights and pylons blocking off Bexhill when I came home. Exciting! Having just heard this morning about the police emptying their service revolvers into two dogs in Lorne Park yesterday, I wondered what new drama was being played out in my backyard. When I looked down the road though, I could see two hydro cherry pickers set up in front of the giant trees on either side of the road - oaks or willows, I couldn't tell. I guess the wind had done some damage and they were taking branches down before they came down on the wires, a house or car or passerby...of course all of my clocks were flashing when I got home so I guess they hit something.

No comments: