Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Getting into a routine, sort of, especially now that db is over. No more Thursday night interruptus. Back to doing what I want, when I want.
The long weekend was awesome and the weather held up. I was at JD beach at 7:30am friday (Canada Day) morning. There were already lots of people there, all asian/indian, setting up party sites, saving parking spots. It's a strange phenomenon that white people abandon the park on weekends. I was sending a friend the link for the park's website and on the home page they take note of this fact; "It is a very multicultural place, at times a stranger couldn't tell that the park is in Canada.". Completely true.
Anyway, I paddled about 10 kms, came into the beach for some coffee and granola bar, back for more paddling, some more beach time, rinse, repeat. The early morning light hits the water at an angle that makes it clear straight to the bottom. I paddled towards the P-Can plant and then turned back towards the Ridgetown. I was about 1500m from shore and looked down to see a giant school of fish - HUNDREDS, maybe THOUSANDS of them, no lie. I can tell you what they weren't - carp or salmon - but I couldn't tell you what they were. All I know is it's very hard to paddle standing up when you're watching the action on the bottom of the lake. I just kept paddling and the fish just kept on coming - it was pretty awesome!  I do see the occasional salmon, usually in the late evening, but it's rare to see more than 5 or 6 fish scooting across the bottom at a time. I guess the boats with fish finders are more aware of how many are actually down there. I should talk to Drake and see what they might have been..
It was a beautiful morning and I was surprised that 4 hours had passed by the time I loaded the car and headed home.
I was pretty energized so I set about taking down that sick tree/shrub on the north side of my driveway. It sticks out and now that I have to park 2 cars in the driveway, it's in the way. I was just going to prune it back but noticed that it's being eaten by bugs. I still have all this furniture in the garage (for sale - cheap - if you know anyone who likes pine and needs living room stuff) so I couldn't get to where I keep the hand saws. Didn't matter. Didn't need one. I grabbed one of the branches and it was so chewed up and rotten that it came away in my hand! I was able to take it down to a ragged stump which I'll cut down soon. Soonish.
It's a good time to do the work since the house next door is empty. Actually, it just sold for $600K! which is great news for me since it's smaller than mine with fewer amenities.
After cleaning up the garden some more, I crashed with a book for a couple of hours. Later in the evening, I dropped into Port Credit to check out some of the celebrations but didn't stay long.

No comments: