Sunday, February 12, 2012

Schools are on March break this week and we've taken most of our servers down for upgrades or whatever so there's time for a little upgrading on my blog.


The last time I wrote, I was at the funeral for K.C. and Mariane's mom. The church was packed, overflowing in fact. People who arrived late had to sit in side rooms. The priest who spoke wasn't known to the family but was, as he let us know, currently a resident at a nearby nursing home and the funeral home called on him frequently to perform services. He rambled on for a bit and then trailed off and seemed to remember what he was there for. A few words into the service he went into an old-man coughing fit. It went on just a few seconds too long so everyone started to look a little concerned.
Once the family members started getting up to speak, everyone relaxed. Johanne's sisters spoke with much love and humour, ignoring a fire alarm that went off for about 5 minutes. KC, Marianne and her brother all spoke. There were lots of tears when they talked about the graduations, weddings, grandchildren and other life events she would miss.
Everyone gathered in the foyer after the service. Great that so many friends were able to make it. I had been planning to jet as soon as it was over, KC understood since she was originally going to be coming to Melissa's wedding, but there were so many people to see.

Eventually I was on the road (after a quick Starbucks stop by Eighth Line). I forgot how far it is to Hamilton. And the weather out that way was brutal, icy and windy, making the roads super-slick. I got to the Old Mill in Ancaster just as everyone was sitting down to dinner. I knew I was sitting with Jess/Del and Chrissy/Jeff but it was a nice surprise to find that Sarah Bell and Amanda Wessell along with their significant others were at the same table. Sarah's mom was at the wedding also. Besides the girls, there were a bunch of other paddlers there; Chris, Dustin, Kyle and their respective girlfriends.

I know people always say this but Melissa really was beautiful! And so happy. I've only met John once before at national team trials but he seems like a truly nice person. It was one of those weddings where everyone is relaxed and having a good time.

Instead of clinking a glass or singing a song with the word "love" in it, each table or group had to make a lego addition to Melissa & John's "home". The dance floor was full all night, the cheesier the song the better. I got a chance to speak with everyone I wanted to catch up with before I left around 11:30pm. Great party!



No comments: