Monday, April 03, 2006

Everyone laughs at my love of Google Earth but what's not to love? I've looked at race courses in other countries before and after competitions and checked out the courses that friends were racing on when I couldn't be there. Not to mention looking at the Tour de France course, seven wonders of the natural and modern world, checking out directions in a new city, etc. etc...
Lately, I discovered this tour that documents the movement of The Hayward Fault in California. It moves about .35 in/yr - half the rate of the San Andreas fault. You can download it here - http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/research/geology/hf_map/GE_helicopter.htm
Tip: (the Play Tour button is F10)
Once you've opened Google Earth and the tour, use the menu at the left to open photos that detail evidence of movement - shifted curbs, streambeds and the separation caused to Berkeley's Memorial Stadium (the red line is the Fault)...I've always wanted to live in California, maybe that's why I find it so fascinating...

No comments: