Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hard to believe that 24 hours ago I was stressing about how our races would go today. I've spent the last 11 months training on my own and with the crew for the race-off this week. The past 4 weeks have been focused on maintaining my physical and mental strength for a race with an opponent of (reportedly) equal or greater strength. And on race day we blew the Montreal team away. As they've claimed all along...they are just a club crew.
The first race of the day told the whole story. We buried them by a full boat length in the 1000 and that set the tone for the 200m and 500m races.
So, we've secured our berth for the world championships next year. What do I do with myself now? Well, first I'm going to have one glorious meal of "suicide" chicken wings. Then in a couple of weeks, we head to CCA in Regina to defend our national champion status in flatwater. After that, I'll spend the next 11 months training on my own and with the crew so I can secure a seat in the boat when it goes to Sydney Australia in 2007. Strange, but I do love this!
2007 World Championships
Sydney International Regatta Centre, Penrith Sept 16-23.

1 comment:

John P said...

http://www.wildride.com.au

If I had only known that you can take tours of Sydney on the back of a Harley.