Thursday, November 22, 2007

It's time for someone to cover this - Crosby, Stills & Nash's Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. I'm thinking the White Stripes could do it justice.
Stephen Stills wrote this about his then-girlfriend, folk singer Judy Collins. Stills said: "It started out as a long narrative poem about my relationship with Judy Collins. It poured out of me over many months and filled several notebooks. I had a hell of a time getting the music to fit. I was left with all these pieces of song and I said, 'Let's sing them together and call it a suite,' because they were all about the same thing and they led up to the same point."
The last verse is sung in Spanish. Stephen Stills didn't want it easily understood since it had little to do with the theme of the song. He just put it in because the song had gone on forever and needed to be wrapped up somehow. translation:
"How nice it would be to take you to Cuba, The queen of the Caribbean Sea. I only want to visit you there. And how sad that I can't, damn!"

No comments: