Sunday, November 09, 2008

On Saturday, Jackie and I went to the baby show. (I was telling my friend John and his first question was, "So did you buy one?").
Anyway, I don't know if they were having these when Ryan was born in '79 but if they were, I never attended one. It was actually pretty good and a fun way to spend the morning. They were giving away a lot of free stuff and after the first couple of booths, I realized they didn't know or care if I had a baby or grand-baby so I started taking some of the stuff for Carrie. Both Jax & I got some Christmas shopping done and I was constantly amazed by the innovations in babycare. My pick is the M coat which they had in a couple of colours, including a rich, chocolate brown. Seriously, I would buy this coat just for walking around.
Afterwards, I dropped up to the condo to see if Sydney was awake. She woke up while I was there (probably because I no longer have a "baby-asleep" voice) and was super-cute, as always. I haven't seen her since her birthday and she is rock solid on her feet and walking. She was a little sick with a fever but was very flirty once she was fully awake.

Sunday;
Am I the only female who can spend a couple of hours wandering around a drugstore?
I needed hair gel and since I haven't done anything physical for a couple of days, decided to walk to the Shoppers at Clarkson Crossing. The weather is overcast and windy and cold enough for me to need a jacket under my vest (but not gloves). I haven't gone drugstore shopping for awhile - I've been saving myself for a trip to Sephora - but I really enjoyed myself. I spent a lot of time checking out hair and bath products and tested all 4 Harajuku Lovers scents - not for someone my age but I was curious. They have beautiful ads and I think Gwen Stefani is amazing.

I remembered my sister telling me something about a product called Freeze which is supposed to minimize deep wrinkles. Considering that her usual skin care includes products by la mer, I was surprised when she told me she got it at Shoppers. This stuff must be good! Oh boy, I hit the skin care aisle in full spontateous purchase mode, dropping a couple of mid-range ROC products in my basket - Complete Lift Pen for eyes($34) and Lip Repair Stick ($7 - basically chapstick) - before recruiting the woman from the cosmetics counter to help me find the self-proclaimed wrinkle-eraser. She showed me two products - one from Estee Lauder (which has a tendency to curdle??), another from Dermaglow which works well under makeup - and told me about a third from Smashbox. I settled on the Dermaglow ($75. I know pricey, but seriously Botox in a jar? How fantastic is that?! Plus I can return it within 30 days if I don't like it.). And what I love about paying at the cosmetics counter is... free samples! I got a primer from Smashbox, face scrub from Avene (which I just saw rated best in some fashion mag product comparison) and Jessica Simpson's new scent Fancy (it isn't completely hideous and these little perfume vials are great for the gym bag or for travel). I remembered the hair gel at the last minutes and then threw in a 5-piece manicure purse set and a new hairbrush just because.


Here's a review of my purchases (of course I tried them all as soon as I got home); The eyelift worked immediately and the feel reminds me of a treatment my mom showed us when we were teenagers - a little egg white applied around the eyes would tighten the skin as it dried. Unfortunately egg white gets flakey under makeup, this doesn't.
The Dermaglow wrinkle freeze also showed quick results. The cosmetician said it works progressively - "training the muscles that create the wrinkles to relax" - and I'll have to use it every day to see full results. Oh, reeaaallly. I'll let you know.
The $7 lip balm seems to be worth it. I applied it as I was walking home (I've killed my lips paddling out on the lake in the sun and wind this year), 3 hours later, I've even had a drink and it's still on there, lips are smooth... Entertainment for a Sunday afternoon!

No comments: