Sunday, November 30, 2008

Even though I wasn't particularly tired this morning, I stayed in bed until 11am. I have the most comfortable, down-filled bed in the WORLD and no early morning plans sooo ...why would I get up? Anyway...oh did I mention that I'm cat-sitting? Yes. This is Bijou. If you aren't out of bed by 8am, she has something to say about it. She has a quiet meow and isn't aggressively obnoxious, so that's nice but every 20 minutes or so, she'll jump on the bed and meow, walk around a bit, stare into your eyes about 1 inch from your face and then charge down the stairs.

Around 11, the phone rang twice and then stopped. It said "Jackie". This happened a couple of weeks ago - Sydney had gotten hold of the phone and dialed the first contact on the list. I thought it was the same today until I got a text saying Jackie was at Starbuck's in PC. I met her and Sydney there (Blake was in a meeting at Helen's). Liz & Chris Lightbound joined us and we also ran into Clare and Monique who had just finished db practice at MCC.
When I got home, I checked email and noticed my son's FB status said something about "an interesting experience on the way to renting a video last night". I thought it was odd he didn't mention anything when he came over but figured it was just something related to his group of friends. He called me later and filled me in....
After he left my house last night, he decided to return the Wanted video we watched and get something else. He went to his favourite neighbourhood video store. As he was about to go in, a young guy carrying a giant knapsack busted out of the store, pushed past him and ran across the parking lot. Ryan knows everyone working there and the clerk, an 18 year old girl, met him at the door saying, "That guy just stole all of our video games. What should I do?" Ryan told her to call 911 and he'd call her in a few minutes. Ryan saw the kid travelling along Major Mac so, going along behind the neighbourhood plazas and sidestreets, Ryan tracked him for a few kilometres until he stopped to wait at a bus stop. Ryan called the police on his cell and told them exactly where they could pick him up. He continued along a sidestreet, coming out past the bus stop, on the opposite side from the store. The kid never even noticed him. As Ryan was walking past the bus stop, three cruisers and an unmarked car came flying up for the takedown. He said the kid, who turned out to be 15, put up a pretty awesome fight considering what the crime was, his size and how many cops were there. He had a couple thousand dollars of merchandise in the knapsack so the store employees were pretty grateful that it was recovered. I think the cops reacted as quickly as they did because one of the stores in this video chain was robbed at gunpoint a couple of weeks ago. I'm just grateful Ryan didn't tackle this kid on his own.

No comments: