Saturday, November 29, 2008

Today was my personal start of Christmas. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened.
I went into Oakville early because I need a blender. The one I have is basically useless and the carafe is made of plastic. I want a steroid-induced, ice-crushing blender that keeps margaritas cold and doesn't add toxins to my breakfast smoothy. Canadian Tire just can't provide that kind of selection so I had to go to a bonafide kitchen store and I knew of one in Oakville. Little did I know that the Christmas season would bite me in the butt. And to the soundtrack of Pink Floyd... cha-ching.
Let me say up front that I did not come home with a blender. However, since I was infused with the spirit of giving by then, it didn't really matter.
The traffic going into Oakville was pretty heavy. Since it was only 9am, I'm guessing a lot of people were getting a jump on seasonal shopping - possibly induced by crazed shopping stories of our neighbours in the US. Thanksgiving is such a tragic time for them.
The weather was beautiful - sunny and 4 degrees (felt like 10) and I didn't mind strolling along main street, waiting for the stores to open. I had my Starbucks.
My favourite store, House Warmings, wasn't open yet but the kitchen store next door was so I thought perfect, get the blender issue out of the way asap. Unfortunately, they only had 2 types of blenders - one with too many options and the other with too few. I scoped out some christmas-ey table settings though and by the time I left, House Warmings was open.
This store never disappoints me. Many of my so-called Christmas presents to self come from this store and this year was no different. Most notable though was the addition of the GLAM line to their shelves. I found the most amazing gift for two of my teenaged nieces! They don't read this so I can post here that I got them these stylish usb drives (and one for myself too). The 1gig drive folds in so I'm thinking just add a chain and they're a pretty nice pendant (you can't see it in the pic but each is embellished with rhinestones). And at $35 they are a deal. I bought an extra one of the black & white for myself.


After that store, it's pretty much a shopping-induced blur. All I know is I came home with a bunch of decorations, wrapping paper, novelty Christmas crackers for the dinner table, several other gifts and a new red coat. More impressive is what I didn't buy considering I was in lighting stores, Lululemon, B2, etc...
Later in the afternoon, Ryan came over. We went for a walk in the marsh where we skipped stones into the lake, a tradition that hasn't changed since he was two, and checked out the snack selection at the local convenience store. After helping me hang a couple of pictures (which we later decided would look much better at his place) we watched a dvd - Wanted - and ate junk food. We ordered in Spoon and Fork for dinner.
It was a pretty awesome day all round!

No comments: