Sunday, July 19, 2009

I spent the day at Model Citizen with Julian making screens and printing shirts. The weather wasn't outstanding so I don't feel like I missed anything. Besides, we were in the basement most of the time and never knew what was going on out of doors.

I did my usual thing of forgetting I needed 2 designs laser printed on paper until yesterday afternoon but I was going to the TFC game and couldn't do anything about it at the time. I always do this, ignore jobs I have to do until the last minute and then rush around trying to cobble something together. Somehow I always seem to get away with it. I'm starting to think I do it on purpose because I enjoy the challenge of proving I can pull it off.


So this morning at 9:30 I called a Kinkos on Hurontario to see if they could do a couple acetates on short notice. The girl who answered the phone wasn't sure but said to email the images and someone would call me back. Great! Now I just need to come up with some art.

Okay, keep it simple....simmmmmpulllll...simple. Simple, plain graphics that are eye catching. Got it - one I've always liked is the adaptor you put in a 45 record to play it on a regular turntable. Easy! One down, one to go. I had already started working on one of a stonehooker so cleaned that up and added some text. But then I came across some images of John Cleese doing his silly walk. I thought it would look amazing all strung together so did that too and sent them all off to Kinkos asking them to let me know if I could pick them up in half an hour.
I had to leave the house at 11:00 to get to Kensington Market in time but I still hadn't heard from Kinkos when I stepped out of the shower at 10:50. I was starting to stress a little - I couldn't just show up empty handed.

As I was heading out the door, Kinkos called. They'd received my images and could have them for me anytime. I asked them to increase the size to fill 8.5 x 11 sheets and print 2 acetates and 2 plain paper of each. This was actually going to work out! Yeah, I would be a little late but I would have something to work with.

Julian called just as I crossed Bathurst & Dundas. He was getting things setup so we were cool. (See what I mean? I should be more organized and definitely shouldn't get away with this stuff.) Julian had already made the frames so we just had to stretch the fabric screen, coat it with emulsion and set it in the darkroom to dry. By then it was 2:00 so we took a lunch break... at Big Fat Burritos, my favourite!

When we got back around 3:00, we positioned the artwork, exposed it on the light table for 11 minutes and then rinsed the screen, blasting out the image.

I'm really pleased with how my stuff turned out - especially considering how last minute it was. I never did print the 45 spindle but will save that for another time. Maybe for cushions or something.


No comments: