Thursday, October 08, 2009

Last weekend I flew to Saskatchewan for the 50th wedding anniversary of my (mom's) cousin Graham Taylor and his wife, Isabel. This side of the family is awesome fun and we've gotten really close in the last few years. Graham and Isabel have filled the void unintentionally left by my parents through their respective disabilities. The Taylors call and sing happy birthday in two part harmony on my birthday and have added me to the bi-monthly phone chain along with their daughters, sons, nieces and nephews.
The party had to be held at the opera house to accommodate the some 250+ guests with a full meal and dance afterwards. We had a great time! The immediate family got together an hour early and toasted the couple with champagne and lots of speeches about our luck in still having Graham with us for this milestone event. Back in March he was in hospital having his 2nd multi-bypass surgery (he had his first heart attack at 26 years old).
After he was discharged from the hospital, I called Graham and laughed when he told me, in the most humorous way, that he was going to have a party for every event from now on because he'd rather have a party while he's alive than a wake after he's gone. I told him that would be awesome and I would come out west for every party he cared to throw.
It was so great to see Graham back to his old self on Saturday night - wearing his kilt, dancing with all of his grand-daughters and random single ladies. There were lots of wonderful speeches about, and by, the couple, their family and friends. Graham had called earlier in the week and asked me to take photos of the event and I have a couple thousand on my flash card.
When I woke up this morning and saw a missed, late-night call from my cousin, Susan, I knew without picking up the message that Graham was gone. I don't know the details except that it happened suddenly last night.
I'm heading back to Saskatchewan early Monday morning for his funeral but I don't feel as sad as I might. All of the loving, respectful words about his wonderful (charmed) life have already been spoken in the best possible way - with him there to hear them. He had the right attitude to life and I'm glad that he spent his last weekend celebrating a milestone with his wife, laughing and dancing, surrounded by family, friends and his community.

I already try to make it to every event for my family and friends but don't be surprised if you start getting evites from me every month!

No comments: