Sunday, October 18, 2009

Such a good feeling to be home for 7 days in a row. I wasn't 100% going into the weekend but by Friday night, I needed to get out of the house. I met up with Andrea Paiement, the original princess. I haven't seen her since the end of May, just after her 2nd little girl was born, so it was long overdue. We went to a movie (Couples Retreat) and then had a drink/dessert at Jack Astor's. She cracks me up! I'm so glad we've stayed in touch over the years. She's become such a good friend.

On Saturday morning, a bunch of us met up in Oakville and went out in outrigger. It was beautiful and sunny but chilly. Neoprene boots, toques, Lifa's, Crafts and jackets. There were nine of us - Nancy, Terri, Karen S., Eve, Chrissy, Jess, Chanda, Kara and me. Since there were so many of us, we took out the double-hull. They've rigged 2 OC-6s together, no amas, and it's a great way to get a larger group out training together. The boat is way more stable than the single-hull and really gets some speed.

We paddled down Sixteen Mile creek to the mouth of the harbour and everyone cheered! There were pretty big rollers coming in. We paddled on the lake for a little more than an hour and it was awesome (still no other word to express that feeling). I've been really bored with my same old routine in PC, but this was the proverbial breath of fresh air. Training with a group of people and working hard, not just for yourself but to make the boat go better as a whole. I still haven't quite got the feel of riding waves in the big boat but it'll come with time. I guess it'll have to wait until next year since it's unlikely we'll get out again before it snows. The club is planning to put the boats in storage some time this week. Too bad since we're going to get a reprieve with temps in the double-digits.

Back at the dock we did a quick change at our cars and separated, with the C4 planning to meet up at Port Credit GO at 2:43. We're going to the TFC game - last home game for the season.

Oh my god, such a great time. It was sunny enough to be pleasant but only Eve was smart enough to bring mittens (for the beer holding hand). Chrissy brought a giant backpack that contained her clothes for the evening and one...GIANT...electric blue...SNUGGIE. It was hilarious and she endured some good-natured ribbing from the other fans in our section. And proving once again that hot girls can do/wear anything and still get positive attention! Oh yeah, that reminds me - when we came through the gate, there was no giveaway which kind of surprised me since we were early. We were sharing a table with some random guys in the beer garden and Chrissy asked one guy where he got the toque - he said they were giving it away at the gate. Eve and I offered to watch the beer if Jess & Chrissy went to beg some with our tickets. They were gone a really long time but came back after successfully scoring 4 TFC toques!

We hung out with the guys in the beer garden until it was time for the train. Jon Loek met us on the platform with his bike. He's going to be working Toronto Fashion Week for BlogTO which is pretty exciting news and means his career in photography is really taking off.

Attila, Pete and Jess got off at Mimico - they were going on a triple date to see Couples Retreat - Eve and I got off at Port Credit and Schro and Dylan went on to Clarkson. Eve and I had to walk back down the length of the train in order to disembark. Because of construction, they're only opening the doors on the last five cars at the PC stop.

I'll write about Sunday and the photos below a little later. I'm heating up my Thai takeout leftovers and they smell fantastic! I'm starving.










No comments: