Monday, October 12, 2009

I got up at 4am to catch a 6am flight to Regina to attend Graham's funeral (cousin, not brother). There was no question that I'd attend but being thanksgiving weekend and all, the cost of flights were grossly inflated. My cousin is a ticket agent and found me one which, even with her discount, was almost $600. It had a stopover in Winnipeg which worked out since my uncle and 3 cousins live there. The plan was to meet up with them and we'd fly to Regina together. From there we'd rent a car for the hour long drive to Wolesley. The rest of the family knew we'd be getting to the funeral just as it started.
Well, doesn't our flight from Winnipeg to Regina get cancelled. They said it was because the floor strip lighting wasn't working which, although it doesn't seem important, is considered a "no go" technical issue. I suspect it had more to do with the fact there were less than 10 people on the flight.
There were only a couple of options available; take a later flight to Regina at 2:45 or fly to Calgary around noon for a 2 hour layover before flying to Regina. Either choice would put me in Regina just in time to catch my 6:30 flight home and no time to pay my respects to Graham.
My ticket-agent cousin was able to get me on a flight home to Toronto in the afternoon so we had brunch and a mini-memorial at the airport Sheraton before they left me on my own at the airport.
I'm home now and I really do feel like a big bag of poo. I said this just last week but seriously, no more airports...please!

No comments: