Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I seemed to make all the wrong decisions today; from what route I took to work to how I spent my leisure time afterwards.
It was raining all day today and as the temperature dropped, so did my enthusiasm about going for a paddle tonight. With the high winds, I self-encouraged by thinking about what a fun outrigger paddle it would be and headed to the canoe club. At least the rain had lightened up a bit.
You know those times when you're just feeling lethargic mentally and physically? That was me. But I rigged my boat and walked towards the dock. That's when it really started to pour!
Okay, so I have these flip flops that I've been meaning to get rid of for awhile. The bottoms are completely smooth and slip-slide on any slick, wet surface: e.g. the boat bay floors. Twice in the past couple of weeks I've sliced my toes up from sliding into something sharp as I skidded across that floor. SO PAINFUL.

Anyway,  I was super careful getting my gear. I walked carefully down the ramp to the dock and as I took the last step, I hit wet wood and goose poo and my legs went out from under me. The good news is I went straight down, landing on my butt. The bad news is, so did my boat. It bounced off my shoulder at impact and the rudder rammed straight into the (wooden) ramp.
I flipped my boat over on the dock and tried to straighten the rudder but it was bent into the hull and couldn't budge. I carried it back up to the top and inspected the damage. The paint was a little cracked but at least it hadn't punched up through the hull. It didn't take long to realize I couldn't do much with the rudder attached to the boat.

I removed it and took it up to the repair room. Tamas Sr. was out on the water so I was a little tentative as I tightened the pin into the vice grip and carefully bent it back to 90 degrees. No damage! I popped it back onto the boat...good as before. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go on the water anymore.

When I got home, I really just wanted to have a hot jacuzzi (yay for renovations) and go to bed but forced myself to go to SST for the circuit with Alyson & Chanda. No lie, if it weren't for them, I wouldn't have gone. In fact, to make sure I didn't sit down on the couch, I left early and went to the New Balance store for some workout inspiration. I bought a new water bottle and some Hue toe socks (for dress shoes).

There must have been 17 people in the class - far too many for the space so it was a little frustrating. Then I bashed up my leg on the tire jumps (do a two-footed bunny hop into the centre of a tractor tire and immediately out again) when my shin caught on the tire and I hit the astroturf. Okay, there weren't 3 tires, only one but you get the idea.

Then buddy decided we would do suicide runs between circuits instead of rest, then we had to switch our first exercise for something else on the next round. Listen, that's not normally a big deal but this group has trouble remembering which exercise they just finished or who they're following. Anyway, I knew I was just cranky from my BAD DAY and struggled through. Of course I felt better after we were done. Still tired but at least the day ended on a positive.

No comments: