Monday, September 27, 2010


Okay, I realize it's a photo of my OC-1 and not my new Bark board. I took the photo on Sunday after I paddled stand-up to Missy, then returned in my outrigger. I didn't remember my camera was in the car until I got back.

I had a weird night on Friday and only fell asleep around 6:45am. That blew my only window for paddling. The club clean-up was 9-12, I had to meet the contractor at my house to go over some stuff at noon and then K.C., Courtney and I were catching the 2:36 GO to meet Ryan at the TFC game.
The game was so fun. Let me qualify that, TFC lost but we still had a good time.



After the game K.C. and I hit Momiji for dinner. Court was going out so her dad came to pick her up there.

On Sunday morning, my eyes flew open at 7:45am. I made coffee, slurped down a few spoonfuls of yogurt and got into my paddling gear. I was at Jack Darling by 8:10.
The guys have told me that they're wearing wetsuits when they go on the lake. In spite of the warm air temps, I figured they must know what they're doing and pulled mine on over shorts and a Craft long sleeve. Within a few strokes I was BOILING. I'm still not sure if it was necessary. I guess if I'd gotten wiped out by a motorboat or went swimming I'd think differently but there was no one on the water and it was perfectly flat. An unbelieveable day.

As planned and mentioned above, I paddled my stand up board to the canoe club. About 1km into it, I realized I didn't have my leash. I'd been so excited about getting on the water I forgot it! But it's rare for the Peel marine unit to be out that early so I wasn't too concerned about getting a fine. Anyway, they're nice guys and don't often pull a Halton.

As I was coming into the harbour, I heard my name called from way up. I looked up and there was Chrissy on her fabulous, penthouse balcony. I waved my paddle and carried on, kind of distracted by fishing boats that were heading towards me. She yelled again and I realized she had her camera. I paused for a minute but was already drifting past the corner of the building and out of her sight. I hope she got a good shot!
The second I hit the dock at Missy, I stripped off the wet suit. What a relief - like running out of a sauna and jumping into cool water! I checked my gps and was surprised that it only took me slightly longer to paddle the distance than it did in my outrigger. Cool.
No one was at the club yet. I stowed my board in the back alley, by the club kayak paddles and rigged my boat. The oc paddle felt ridiculously light & short so I was awkward on the first few strokes, reaching way too high. But once I settled in, I felt I was paddling with more power and better technique. So it was a good decision - the switch up will be great cross-training for all disciplines.
When I got back to JD, I grabbed my thermos and camera from the car. One thing I've noticed - in places where people have a genuine connection to the water they live on/near, they'll approach me on the beach with questions about the boat or the sport in general. In Mississauga / Toronto, people will watch me from far away or leave the beach as I approach. I find it strange and sad that the majority of Torontonians feel no real affinity for this amazing body of water (14th largest lake in the world!). It was no different today - within seconds of pulling my boat onto the sand, I had the beach to myself.
Before loading my boat on the car, I enjoyed my coffee sitting on the beach just absorbing the reality that I'm pretty close to living my dream. It may not be the tropical location I ultimately hope for (read "warm water") but I'm close to the beach and have the equipment and gear to enjoy it fully. Now I just have to retire so I can do it whenever I want.

No comments: