Thursday, September 30, 2010

Well, it's officially an addiction. The sun can't rise early enough for me but I found some time before work this morning and got down to JD for a quick trip to the harbour and back on my board, not quite 5km. It was just rollers, a little foggy and cool but perfect paddling weather. I didn't want to come in, I was enjoying it so much.
I was tempted to go out on it again tonight but decided to test the rudder on my boat instead. It's working just fine and I enjoyed a steady 9km workout - straight out into the lake and back. With the air temperature dropping, the water feels pretty warm. I'd gone out in crop tights and a Craft long sleeve with a dryfit T over top but was peeling layers off before I passed the Ridgetown. The t-shirt was enough (yes, I kept the pants on.).
We took most of the docks out at the club cleanup last weekend. (when I say "we" that doesn't mean I actually helped with the lifting/removal. I was busy cleaning the showers and taking photos). When I came in from my workout, the newest crop of banti were standing around on the remaining 2 docks, squealing and talking and holding their boats on the water. They were completely oblivious to the fact that the athletes gathered around the ends of the dock were not an admiring audience and really just wanted to get off the water. It wasn't completely their fault - Dean was standing at the top talking to them. He'd say "girls move your boats" then immediately distract them with some useless task; "who left those seats/paddles/life jackets there? Go pick them up." and they'd leave their boats to scramble around on the dock. There aren't a lot of boys in this group - hey, with so many girls, maybe Missy can produce the next Carolyn Brunet.


That's our new head coach on the right, by the way. Derek's resignation, submitted shortly before CCA, became official when the athletes returned after the post-nationals break. Expect a lot of fall-out from this in the future. Kyle stepped in as interim head coach and a job posting appeared on canoe-kayak.ca sometime this week.

After I'd put my boat away I as joking around with Steph about her 'fat hand". She's seriously allergic to bee stings so when she got stung on the hand last week, it swelled up to blowfish size. I noted it had shrunk and asked her if she'd put her fat hand on a diet or was she worried about it being anorexic since it lost a ton of weight in a short time...etc. She pulled out her old standby, "Does anyone smell OLD, like decaying flesh and Bio-Oil?" I came back with something weak like, did she have to send her hand to fat hand camp but I was already defeated.
When I got home there was an email that Marisha was going to be on CBC's As It Happens. It was coincidentally 2 minutes to broadcast time. It's an interesting story that I meant to post here a couple of weeks ago. Instead I'll direct you to the programme's link for Thursday, September 30, 2010 , select "listen to part one" and advance to the 17:10 mark.

No comments: