Saturday, December 04, 2010

I'm hitting the boxes again, trying to shuck off the material baggage. At the moment, it's a stack of paper. On the top, some autographed pics from Adam starting with his 2003 Worlds silver and on. Then there's the cover of the Regina Sports section - our C4 winning at 2006 nationals (we've even signed one - Chrissy, Eve, Jess, me and coach Larry Cain). Further down is a bunch of newspapers I saved in 1980 - the death of John Lennon - then a couple of the Saturday supplement magazines from the Toronto Star. One is from Oct 13th 1979 and the other January 5th 1980. I don't think I saved them, I think they the just got packed up in some move and have travelled with me ever since. They're funny to go through though. The latter has an article about Canadian up-and-comers for 1980s. They were off the mark with names like Carling Bassett (12 yr old tennis protege), Martyn Burke (filmmaker) and Pointed Sticks ("We're not punk. We're a pop band for the '80s.") but they finally hit it right about then 15 year old Alex Baumann setting his sights on the 80 & 84 Olympics. Then there's the ad for the 'Ayds Reducing Plan - We've learned to take weight off and keep it off". A product that disappeared shortly after for obvious reasons.
I'll scan some of this stuff later but right now I have to stop procrastinating!

No comments: