Saturday, December 04, 2010

Wow, long time since the last post. I guess it's been a fairly busy time but mostly in a domestic way (read boring). The never-ending renovations continue but I hope to close the book on them/write the final cheque before the end of the year. I know I've said this before but I will NEVER hire someone to do renovations again. What I mean is, I will take a course in electrical, tiling, drywall or whatever needs doing and do it myself.
So in the interim, I've put most of my old furniture from my Markham days up for sale - first on a popular classifieds website, then in a yard sale. I was able to get rid of a ton of stuff and made about $1500! 
You just don't realize how much you accumulate. Each time I pulled something out of a storage space, it revealed 5 other things...
For example, I had a never-been-used double mattress & boxspring stored on its side in the cold room. Mike was buying it and as I hauled it out I found the headboard footboard, a rocking chair, antique singer sewing machine, two massive mirrors (6 ft) and assorted other household stuff that I didn't want or need. Although I got rid of quite a bit in the yard sale, I still have a garage full of furniture - wall unit, couch and chairs, coffee and end tables - and I'm starting to despair of ever getting them out of my life. And while I can finally get my Pathfinder back in the garage, I really want the other half empty too. I'm trying to decide on whether I should get a storage locker or just shift the stuff any way I can.
The house is upside down - it looks like I just moved in with boxes all over the place, framed pictures leaning up against walls and my standup board lying on the floor in the living room. It's becoming obvious that I can live without whatever's in those boxes and I think that's what's keeping me from opening them.

No comments: