Sunday, April 17, 2011

After my indolence yesterday, I'm anxious to do something today - you know go running, cycling, swimming, horseback riding. All the things Tampax ads promised us women we could do... whenever we wanted.
I settle for a walk. It's just started snowing here - half-hearted effort mixed with rain - I'm dressed in almost head-to-toe Lululemon with a craft shirt and adidas jacket under my trench for added warmth plus Nike gloves and hat. Throw in my new balance shoes and my outfit completely justifies the advertising dollars spent at Runner magazine.
It's a perfect temperature as I cut across the little park just south of my place. Kevin tells me there used to be a golf course where my neighbourhood sits and the park's all that's leftof the greens. I keep heading east until I reach the entrance by the tennis courts, then cut down the trails  - angling toward my favourite stretch of beach.
The water treatment plant is STILL under construction (I think this might be year 5) so the dog park has been severely reduced in size and temporarily moved to surround the tennis courts. People seem to be ignoring this mini-leash-free area, choosing to go all-terrain, and creating paths through the forest to the lake. I like it a lot more actually.
The lake is much calmer today. Little swells - the water looks almost soft, the waves not breaking, the curl gently folds over before washing up on the sand. You could sit and watch this lake for hours. The snow-rain-snow conitnues as I head back toward the marsh, skipping stones (badly) into the lake as I go. By the time I hit the Y in the trail - the left branch exits on Meadow Wood, the other at the bottom of my street - I can see clear blue sky and sun on my left and decide to take the longer route. The blue sky lasts until I get home. A really black cloud moves in and a 10 minute blizzard follows.
I'm making pizza - half for lunch, half for dinner. I picked up one of the frozen ones - dr. oetker - but they always need more kick so I'm adding this great sauce I found in the 'ethnic foods' aisle at Metro. Seriously, what century do we live in? Do european, asian, middle & south american grocery stores have an aisle for north american products? Can you imagine what it would have? Cap'n Crunch and aerosol cheese! They'd have to call it the 'craptastic foods' aisle or something. Anyway, mostly I like the packaging of this bruschetta-type sauce called Bomba Italiana. It reminds me of childhood cartoons; Rocky & Bullwinkle, Wile E. Coyote & Roadrunner...


1 comment:

EDNOS said...

I like your writing style.