Saturday, April 16, 2011

I'll get around to writing about the rest of my trip at some point.
I went for a great paddle on Thursday night - put in at Jack Darling beach and paddled to the river. NOt knowing what to expect on the lake, I went home and got out multiple pieces of spandex, neoprene, polypropolen, gloves, hats, socks. As it turned out, double layers of lifa, layers of spandex on my legs plus wool socks under neoprene boots were enough. The water is slightly warmer than I remember it being on my first paddle last year.
I had little bumps pushing from the west as I paddled toward the Ridgetown. As I cleared the pier at the foot of Mississauga Rd., there was a sudden crosswind from the north east that turned into a full-force headwind as I turned up the river. A completely different weather system had moved in.
Just past the Lakeshore bridge, I caught up with Holly and Hayley in their K-1s and we chatted a bit about Florida. This will be a big year for them I think. Both high achievers in school and making big gains on the water. I don't expect to be around the club much anymore but I'll at least catch up with the kids once in awhile on the water.
There were lots of people out on the river. I spotted Derek in his drysuit on sup and Liz in her OC-1. I turned with Liz and we paddled back out onto the lake, heading for Petro-Can point. There were waves now, pushing from the north-east, and we were moving fast on a conveyor belt. Liz hadn't heard me say I was parked at JD so thought we'd be paddling back in the headwind together. I felt bad about that so paddled most of the way back with her since it would be a quick, fun return ride to my car. I turned again at the foot of Mississauga Road.
As I was carting gear between beach and car, a passer-by misunderstood my path and said, "You're not going out right now, are you?" She seemed so concerned. I understood though. As the sun went down it was getting really cold.

No comments: