Tuesday, September 11, 2007


I was sitting in the basement watching The Hour (George!) season's premier when I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. A giant cricket was making it's way across the floor. As soon as I turned my full attention to it, it took a giant leap, disappearing into the shadow under the wall unit. I'd barely moved my body! I wasn't too disturbed since it was just a cricket, but then I saw another making it's way to the piano at the opposite end of the room. I jumped up and yelled, "bastard" just as it got to safety. Damn. WHere were they coming in from?? I scoped around the room and saw another backing away from me into the most impossible of gaps between the sliding doors. They must have been driven inside by the thunder storm. It makes me wonder though - what goes on in my basement? I don't spend much time down there. I know Gavin did while he was living here but he moved out a few days ago. And most of the time it's quiet and dark. Have the insects taken over? I did see a huge spider on the stairs about a week ago. Yow, there could be a whole ecosystem in the crawlspace! Anway, I'm happy to share the space as long as they restrict themselves to the tv room and the jungle in the backyard - two floors away from me!
Actually this might be good preparation for the trip to Australia and Hawaii. I hear the insect life in both places can be pretty surprising. I just don't want to wake up with some humongous spider plopped on the pillow right by my face. Gah. I wish Jessie hadn't told us that story when we were in Ottawa.

No comments: