Wednesday, September 26, 2007






Sunday night - we headed back to the hotel after being presented with our final gold medal and the cup for the Women's Division. The other girls had to rush to get ready to go to the IDBF party at the Olympic Park - the bus was picking them up in 15 minutes - but I was able to take my time. Quite a few of us hadn't purchased tickets to the party. Eve, Katy and Clem had ordered pizza so I called Domino's and added another to their order, then headed down to their room for drinks. We were lounging around laughing and talking a singing when the front desk phoned up to ask us, very politely, if we would consider moving our party to the lobby bar as some guests had complained about the noise. The bar was closed but they gave us free rein. We brought our stereo and moved the furniture around to suit the group and settled in for an awesome time. After an hour or so we decided to head to P.J. Gallagher's on some aussie's advice. It was awesome! There was a duo playing eighties tunes and we dropped ourselves into the middle of the dancefloor and ripped it up. K.C., Matt, Kaylynne, Rachel, Clem, Clem's cousin, Sara, Sara's boyfriend Chris, Eve, Chrissy, Jess, me - I hope I'm not leaving anyone out - we had so much fun dancing and singing along at the tops of our lungs along with the locals. The US team had booked a function room upstairs for a private celebration but came downstairs at some point. They were yelling their usual U-S-A...U-S-A...U-S-A and were genuinely surprised when we shreaked back CANADA! I think the locals were just annoyed but it made us laugh.
I got back to my room around 12:30. I was just making some phone calls when one of my roommates arrived with a False Creek boy in tow. Awkward. My options were limited as I had nowhere else to go and I didn't fancy sleeping in the lobby so I asked the boy if he didn't have a room somewhere. He said yeah but not at our hotel...just then Eve knocked on the door and I thought I might be able to scam a spot in their room. Nope. we were still having an awkward discussion of sorts when Chanda knocked on the door. Yet again, no offer of a spot so I told the guy he should consider going somewhere else. He was actually a little rude to the girl but they finally left.
The next morning all the girls said their goodbyes in the breakfast room. We were heading to Katoomba but were all a little under the weather (and not packed by checkout time) so we decided to book our room for one more night. I spent the afternoon checking email and wandering around Westfield Mall. We had a great dinner at a mediterranean restaurant on Church street and hit our beds early so we could catch the train to Katoomba first thing in the morning.

No comments: