Thursday, December 18, 2008

I think we stay connected to friends in more ways than we realize.

All day I've been thinking about calling an old friend, Patty. We haven't seen each other in a long time but were good friends through the 80s and 90s. She was one of my bridesmaids and not one of those, you know, that you pick just because you're friends at the time of your wedding and then don't see a year later. We just gradually lost touch - marriage, geography, children, Life! We connected on facebook this past spring and sent emails back and forth, both of us saying let's find time to get together.

Today, out of the blue she kept popping into my thoughts so I decided to call and see if she had free time over the holidays. I didn't call right away - partly procrastination and partly shyness brought on by the years between - I told myself, "she's probably going away to spend christmas with her brothers or sister", "I'll find out what days I'm available and then call her"...you know how it goes.

Anyway, tonight I got a message from Patty that her father, John Ryan - known as John Boy to everyone including his children - passed away last night. He was a pretty dynamic guy. He and his much younger wife Kay had six children. Wow, I just realized that he must have been close to 90 this year but still living on his own and travelling to the cottage on summer weekends. His birthday parties were epic and everyone who grew up in their neighbourhood was in awe of him. I didn't start hanging out with those guys until my mid-20s so didn't get to know him well. I was close to several of his kids though and they're all pretty fantastic. For anyone who knew John, this is the end of an era.

So, it seems, I'll be getting together with a lot of old friends over Christmas. Not the circumstances I would wish for but it will certainly be a celebration. John Boy wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: