Sunday, December 21, 2008

Unbelievable.
On my way home tonight, I stopped at Battaglia's in Lorne Park to pick up something for dinner. I was checking out behind an obviously affluent, 60-ish couple. She had on a $1500 ski jacket ( I know because I've been shopping around) that has never seen snow and he was wearing a cashmere overcoat. While they waited for the checkout girl to bag their groceries, the woman was surreptitiously scooping up stacks of brown paper bags (lunchbag size) that they have at the checkout, folding them and stuffing them into the grocery bags that were already packed. While the checkout girl was busy filling the last of the bags, she walked over to the next aisle which was closed, did a kind of swoop and turn and scooped up another stack, hiding it at her side and stuffing it into the final bag. Seriously, she thought nobody could see her, like she was wearing the 'cloak of invisibility" or something! The whole time she kept an inane conversation going with her husband as a distraction (I guess). Sickness!

When they left, the checkout girl and I looked at each other and shook our heads. I said, "I guess they need lunch bags". She said, "Yeah, weirdest thing I've seen today." Really, I thought it was decent of her to pretend she didn't see anything.

When I went out to my car, I saw the couple loading up the last of their groceries in their 2008 Range Rover. I was behind them going down Lorne Park Rd and watched them drive into Lorne Park Estates. You know, the pretend gated community running south of Lakeshore at Lorne Park Road?

Okay, I know, brown paper bags, no big deal but seriously - they couldn't throw down $3.00 for the lunch bags the grocery store sells? What do you think? She's got to be lifting bigger things when she's out at the mall...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is totally mental. It could be a substitute for sex.