Sunday, December 14, 2008

SNL has been pretty boring since the election so I stopped watching again. Last, night I got home shortly after midnight. I can never go right to bed after a night out so I tuned into SNL - Bonus! Hugh Laurie was host.

Side note: I just figured out that Hugh Laurie really reminds me of Dick Van Dyke. Or I should say DVD's portrayal of anyone British.

Anyway, the sketches on SNL were disappointing at best, especially considering the comic genius they had hosting the show (they should have let Laurie write) but Kanye West's performance was outstanding.
I bought Kanye's first cd - really liked it - but lost interest over the years because I wasn't hearing anything outstanding or the only time I saw media items about him, he was portrayed as a giant, ego-maniacal jackass, I'm not sure.

Anyway, last night's performance, in spite of technical difficulties like no Auto-Tune at the beginning, made me a huge fan again. Love the song, love the screen, love the graphics, THE JACKET he's wearing, oh my god, LVZIT! All I can find out is that it's from Kanye's own line, Past Tell (or Pastelle depending on which site you read), possibly created by Kim Jones. I think it's actually grey wool but it's difficult to tell because the jacket changes colour with the lighting. Anyway, sorry if this link doesn't work - I have to keep changing them as they disappear due to copyright infringement




Keep in mind the colours weren't so muddy on tv - everything's washed out on uploaded stuff. And the visuals were most likely set up for the studio audience so you don't always get the full effect of him dancing in front of the screen (e.g. head cut off). It looks way better when the cameera's shooting from low down. Can you imagine what this looked like live?

No comments: