Sunday, February 08, 2009


Okay, the ice won't be breaking up for a long time but it was really nice to see some open water in the harbour this weekend!



Finally, we get a break from the freezing, snowy weather! The weekend temps have been pretty amazing and it's supposed to continue for the rest of the week, getting colder again on the weekend.

Saturday went up to about 10 degrees. I think they said we broke a record from 1991 for highest temp on this day. Whatever, Ryan and I had planned a day of shopping on Queen St. West and this just made it that much better.

The idea was to get some stuff I need for my trip in March so we hit up all of the board stores (they're all along one strip): Billabong, Roxy, Quicksilver, Oakley. But here's the thing - I really just wanted some board shorts and a rash guard but since there isn't a huge demand for surf gear in Toronto - der - and even less for womens surf gear, these stores only carry fashion shorts and no rash guards. The guy at Oakley was able to find one in their storage room (he was almost more excited about my trip than I am) but it was a men's large and white. I decided to hit Sporting Life on Sunday. They're so overpriced but sometimes they're the only source.

We stopped for brunch at the Rivoli before dropping our bags at the car

and heading over to the Eaton Centre. Ryan was looking for some cologne (he's never been a big cologne guy but thinks he should be wearing it now that he's single). And that's where I made my favourite purchase. We stopped in at Lucky Brand Jeans and they had this great tote bag - the Cherry Bomb! The bag I currently use for travel is an old leather Roots messenger-style bag. I bought it back in 2005 just before our trip to Berlin. Anyway, it's in pretty rough shape and since I only plan on taking carry-on with me to C-R, I was so happy to find such an awesome bag! (oh man, there are two cats gearing up for a fight - or maybe sex, hard to tell - outside the window - sounds so weird)

Ryan found some cologne he liked - Code by Georgio Armani - a really nice, subtle scent. I gave up on trying to find surf gear and we called it a wrap. Good thing - it was already 3:00pm and I'd spent waaay too much!


This morning I dropped by for coffee with Alyson and Carrie and then went to Sherway. I spent about an hour trying on board shorts and rash guards (see, Sporting life has everything) and was able to settle on a couple pairs of shorts. I ended up getting a medium men's rash guard because they're the only ones that come in 3/4 sleeves. Plus most of the girls' are too ...um... girlie for me. Most are turqouise or pink with Love or Peace or polka dots splashed across them.

In about 15 minutes I'm heading out to meet Andrea - we're going to see Taken at the AMC Winston Churchill. It's a thriller and since she's 34 weeks pregnant, I made her promise that I don't have to deliver her baby if she gets scared into labour, haha. Oops, turns out she's only 31 weeks pregnant. Who can keep track with so many people pregnant and expecting around the same time? That reminds me, I think Sarge and Marie's baby is due any day now.

No comments: