Friday, February 20, 2009

We're back in the deep freeze. ugh brrr.

I was watching the coverage of Obama's visit to Ottawa last night and as he and our governor-general, Michele Jean, strolled down the red carpet, I realized that the cool kids are running things. Not in a John Hughes creepy-rich-kid kind of way, but you know, like in high school - the attractive, athletic, popular kids were running for SAC president, playing the lead in the school musical, captain of the ski team, head cheerleader, etc.
This an observation only, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I'd certainly rather watch the social confidence of the Obamas, our G-G and even P.M. Harper than the grating awkwardness of a G. W. and Laura or Nixon for example. I wonder if this is part of why everyone has so much confidence in the future. For North Americans, this just kind of confirms that we can relax, that the social order has righted itself.

No comments: