Sunday, November 29, 2009


CHILLY WILLY!

I am so glad that I signed up to do this year's run. I wasn't ready for it, I definitely didn't have a goal time (I actually spent most of it walking and talking with Doug who was on a bike) but It was so worth it.

My son just started running and mostly I wanted to introduce him to the competitive side. As much as you try to tell someone how fun it is to actually apply your running workouts towards an event, they never really understand. I knew he, like me, needed to just do one to get fired up about running

So there we were at 9:30am, lined up to start the 10km race. Attila, Ryan and I started out running together but in the first 1km I knew I couldn't keep up with their pace. I dropped off and considered how I would get through the next 9km. Oh yeah, ipod >> play.

At about 2 km I ran into Doug and we ran/rode together. Since we were talking I barely noticed the next 6 km. I actually walked quite a bit because I'd get so winded trying to make a point. I haven't done this race in quite a few years so was really pleased to find out that the turn-around has been moved forward to the old aerodrome. Granted, you have to run the island twice but It was awesome to lose that long stretch to the end of Marie Curtis Park.

Doug dropped off when I had 2km to go. I'm not sure what my time was but I doubt it was under an hour.

Anyway, my son did a respectable time - 52 or 53 - and was glad he decided to do it. He had a vague idea of doing the run in 45' so was disappointed that way but now has a goal to shoot for. I hope he joins a running club or something - currently, none of his friends run or do anything athletic so finding a running partner might be tough.

So, although the times haven't been posted yet, I can give you some highlights;

Kaza won his age group and was 5 or 6 overall in the 10km
Tamlyn won the women's 10km
Chris Vincent won his age group for the 21km
Katie Vincent won her age group for the 10km
There was a mini-Andison there (who I think is a second year pee wee) won his age group for the 10km. Tamlyn told me he was with her almost the entire way but hit a wall with just 2km to go...everyone was completely blown away by how fast this kid was
Courtney Stott won her age group and a bunch of the Burloak girls did really well. So did Sarge.

The chili was amazing as always, especially cause there was extra dried chillies and butter on the tables. Personally I don't think chili is the same without a little kick and a buttered bun. Thanks to all the moms who stepped up to cook the meal! I think there were close to 300 runners this year. The rumoured Kenyan never materialized but there's nothing wrong with good marketing.

No comments: