Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My first 10km run in, what - 4? 5? years is next Sunday. So last Friday, day 7 of my super-compressed personal training program, I blew out the heel on my right shoe. I knew my shoes needed to be replaced but was hoping to make it through the run without having to break in a new pair. However, my last two runs were absolute shite - I just felt horrible, weak - so I'm a little relieved that a small part of that might have been the shoes.


So Saturday morning, I was fighting Santa claus parade traffic in Oakville so I could pick up some new 769s at the Running Company.

I tested them out today - day 8. First half of the run felt bad - I'm talking shin splints, leg's fatigued - but about halfway through I could feel gravity loosening it's grip a little. I actually ran further than I normally would without even noticing.

Look, there's no question the CW is going to kick my ass but I might as well be out doing that for an hour on Sunday morning as anything else. Traditionally, I've never done well at this particular event anyway. Well, except for the first year when a group of us just decided (actually, when Schro & Doug decided) to run from the canoe club to the ferry docks in Toronto. We didn't even know how far it was. I ran with Tomi & Attila along the trails while Tamas Sr took to the road. The boys yelled at him to get off the highway but he waved us off, as angry drivers honked and swerved around him, saying he was taking a direct route and we should follow him.

Doug met us about every 6km with water and food - cut up bananas, granola bars. Since we hadn't done more than glance at the trail map before we left, there were a couple of times where we weren't sure of our route. Fortunately for us Derek was ahead. He'd had to backtrack once or twice to figure out the trail so by the time we got to a blind turn, we could see him in the distance and pick our course accordingly. I stuck with the boys until about Queens Quay where I tried to pick it up a bit. I wasn't wearing a watch but knew I was close to the 2 hour mark. Derek had arrived well under 2 hours and called Ian's and then my time as we hit the docks. I'd done it in 2:04. I was disappointed at the time but, in hindsight, am pleased with the result (definitely could have knocked off those 4 minutes though! Just hadn't learned the value of a watch and pacing).

No comments: