Saturday, December 26, 2009

Fairytale of New York, for some reason, is one of my favourite Christmas songs. In spite of, or possibly because of, it's gritty and melancholy nature, this song defines the season - I feel happy, sad, wistful and hopeful all at the same time.

And although Shane MacGowan is one of the ugliest fuckers in the business, an habitual abuser of drugs and alcohol, his songs are well-crafted, insightful and thoughtful works of genius. It's difficult to pick just one favourite but this is a standout in his and the Pogues repertoire. The addition of Kirsty MacColl is just the proverbial icing on the cake.
I've never seen this '80s era video before and it sucks as much as you would expect it to. I actually prefer the 2nd one I've posted, shot live on St. Patrick's day in 1988. Either way, the song evokes any number of personal images to populate my own internal slideshow.





No comments: