Saturday, December 26, 2009

I had my camera in the car so took some snaps around the neighbourhood. I've been meaning to do it for a few weeks because so many things have changed. I think I'll try to do it at the end of each year to track changes. So here's a look at Clarkson-Port Credit on boxing day 2009.


Even though the rest of Southern Ontario was blasted by snowstorms a couple weeks ago, the grass remains green along this stretch of the lakeshore. The rose bush by my front steps actually developed buds until the freezing temps put a stop to that.
The first blizzard arrived about 3 weeks ago. I set my alarm to go off a little earlier, expecting a gnarly drive in but when I looked out the window...nothing. However, as I drove the 11km north to work, it got progressively worse. Half the guys who live in Scarborough, Markham and all points north and east, didn't even bother coming in. They were buried.

Below is Jack Darling Park looking southwest from the driveway, toward the leash-free. It's been torn up for several years now. They worked on it, put it back together and then tore it up again. I don't even remember if they had a toboggan hill last year.

Since I don't have dogs anymore, it doesn't affect me but it has displaced a lot of people & pets. And I noticed the Southdown dog park is gone entirely. When I was dog-sitting Lola, it had a sign saying it was just closed temporarily and to use a newly created leash-free near Sheridan Nurseries. I believe the old one along the lake is the site of the new power plant that everyone's protesting.

The Tim Hortons at the QEW-Mississauga Rd exit has been selling coffee out of a trailer for the last half of 2009. This photo is taken from the west side. I pulled over on Indian Grove which runs south off of the service road. The trailer is invisible because it's tucked in along the east side of the building. Anyway, I'm sure you figured it out because the structure itself hasn't really changed except now it houses a Select convenience store where the garage bays used to be. I think the gas pumps are operational but not sure when the rest of it will open. I thought they might be making it into one of those giant service centres that has ramps directly off the hwy but I guess that's too much to do in an urban area.


And finally, here's a look at the river. It was frozen out to the harbour just a few days ago but it has opened up with all the rain and warmer temps. Still, as much as open water usually makes me want to get out on it, it's too cold. I'm happy in the paddle pool (that'll change by mid-february) .


Oh wait, I almost forgot. I snapped a few pics of the lighthouse just because the sun came out as I was walking back to my car. I didn't plan to post the pic but then I realized it shows the new stop signs at Front St. and John (I had to look up that street name). Basically there's now a 3-way stop right at the Dons' driveway. I don't know when it went up. It just suddenly registered one morning as I blew past, half asleep on my way to morning practice.

And I might as well post this other photo of the lighthouse. It got a complete makeover this fall. It took weeks!

No comments: