Friday, December 04, 2009

I've finally found another station so I can dump CFNY once and for all. Like a lot of people from my generation, I've listened to 102.1 since it first started broadcasting FM from Brampton sometime around 1977. Independent and eclectic, they were fab at introducing new and original artist but terrible at making money. Over time they were sold to increasingly larger mediacorps and now play 'modern rock' (a phrase that could easily be replaced by "cardboard" or "beige" or "global warming").

Anyway, these days, I only hear the radio when my alarm goes off, That subjects me to the morning zoo. I just couldn't take it anymore so when I heard that Strombo is doing his show on CBC radio 2, I used it as an excuse to tune my receiver to 94.1.

I'm so glad I did! I'm hearing new and upcoming artists, long-forgotten favourites and exceptional live shows. And I actually enjoy listening to the radio again (I can quit replaying Russell Brand's BBC podcasts from the past 3 years!)

Here's an artist I'm liking at the moment...sadly, too late to catch her at this October gig.





Had another date with George last night. This time Jackie, Eve and Chrissy came along.

The show was okay but the guest was Tony Clement. Typical politician, wouldn't answer questions as they were put to him, danced around other subjects. Entertaining only because GS is such a good interviewer but TC was no Lyle Lovett (who was the other guest but had been pre-recorded). Throughout the breaks, he chatted with someone he identified as a downhill skiier in the front row. I never did figure out who it was.

We were laughing as we walked out of the CBC studios - directly across the road are 3 HUGE CTV Olympic billboards.I guess they're not above taking digs at the CBC for losing the Olympic broadcasting rights.

We made our way up to Hey Lucy where we ordered our drinks and shared appetizers before heading home. We hadn't realized that there was the Bills game at Skydome so everything was an ordeal - finding parking that wasn't special event $30, walking through the entertainment district, getting a table at a restaurant. But don't get me wrong, I love that Toronto is so busy.

I gave Jackie a lift home and went up to see the fam. Syndey and I did a lot of colouring, I played the djambi and fisher price megaphone while Syd danced and, when she went to bed, I got caught up with Blake.

All round fun night out with friends!

No comments: