Saturday, May 14, 2011

I am SO kicking myself for not taking advantage of the good weather last Friday. All week, they were calling for thunderstorms on Friday afternoon so I decided to go see Mike. It turned out to be a beautiful, hot and sunny afternoon. Damn. It's been rainy and cold ever since.
As it turns out, it was better that I went for the massage. I've had a knot in my shoulder for the past 2 weeks and finally decided to get professional care. I used to have regular massages - every 6 weeks or so during 2005-2007, when I was still racing. As he checked out my upper back Mike said the knot in my shoulder was the least of my worries since my entire back was in spasm. As soon as he said it I realized what a doof I'd been to ignore the signs. What a relief to know that the pain and increasing inflexibility of the past 2 YEARS can be treated. I just thought it was related to age and weight gain - that I'd have to live with it.
He spent an hour working on it until his next appointment arrived. Although I was sore, it felt like he'd lifted a 25 pound backpack off of my shoulders! I was that hunched up and tight.
As soon as we were done, I had to run to Momiji to meet friends for dinner: Alyson, Carrie, Chanda, Eve and Marisha. I haven't seen Alyson in a long time although we've chatted on the phone. She looks great as always, all of them do! Carrie has her pre-baby body back and she was pleased to be wearing her regular jeans. Marisha is excited about the new apartment she and Carm have rented in Peterborough (although she's keeping the lakefront condo, Chanda had just picked up her new stand up board and is looking forward to getting out on the water as soon as weather conditions improve. She  got a Competitor too - the new one which is lighter. Alyson and Chanda are doing a half marathon in a couple of weeks. They decided not to do the 'Sauga Marathon because of some training interruptions, injury and the crummy weather. Eve had just come back from doing the Tour of the Scioto River Valley in Ohio with her dad - 210 miles! Amazing. I love these dinners and that we live close enough to meet up.

No comments: