Thursday, September 04, 2008

I thought the listeria...uh...hysteria was falling off but no. I haven't mentioned this on my blog yet but people have been dying from listeriosis in Canada. I think it might be up to 11 by now. Initially it seemed limited to products from the Maple Leaf meat packing plant in Toronto but subsequently a mushroom farm and now a cheese company in Ontario have also issued recalls. The government says that this could have been much worse if not for the guidelines and precautions put in place during the SARS epidemic of a few years ago.

Sweet City Woman. I listen to CBC Radio 2 at work and they played this Stampeders song this morning. Wow, 1971. I started high school in '72 and my math teacher (who was probably about 21 but seemed really old) played Stampeders and Canned Heat during class. It was pretty great being a teenager during the '70's. They had lots of electives that involved basket weaving or whatever, you know what I mean. One of our teachers was even openly dating one of the grade 13 students! However, they weren't open-minded enough to let girls take woodshop. I remember a bunch of us who wanted OUT of home ec, launched a protest to let us take woodshop. We were shut down very effectively. So now I'm a dismal cook and useless at doing small repairs around the house.



No comments: